Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tomato Pie....A very Southern treat.

Yesterday I woke up craving Tomato Pie.
I'm serious.
Wondering who craves tomato pie at 5 in the morning?
so, I decided I was going to make it for dinner.

Now y'all, I had this Tomato Pie recipe about 4 years ago at a restaurant in St. Simmons, Georgia.
There was this great meat-n-three there and I bought their recipe book.
The only problem?  It's packed in storage.
But, I have blogged about this before, so I just googled my name and tomato pie recipe.
Thank you Internet!

Now, "W" doesn't like anything tomato.
He's just not a true Southerner in my book.
I'm serious.  If you don't like tomatoes or boiled peanuts, you are not a true southerner.

okay, so here we go.
wait, first of all my camera battery keeps going dead for some reason, so these pics are compliments of my iPhone.....
not sure what happened to my pic of all the ingredients, but here is what you need:

Tomato Pie

2, 28 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
1 large onion
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 box of Ritz crackers
2 cups DUKES mayonnaise
handful of fresh basil (chopped)
salt and pepper to taste

peel the onion

and slice

dump all crackers in a food processor and grind

using a 9 x 13 dish sprayed with Pam, coat the bottom of the dish with the crackers and press down

saute the onions

until they look like this!

evenly pour on can of the UN DRAINED tomatoes evenly over the cracker crumbs

layer the onions and then smooth about 1/3 more of the cracker crumbs

pour the other can of tomatoes on top of that!

and the rest of the onions

now mix the 2 cups of mayo

and one cup of shredded Parmesan cheese

and 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

mix all that up

then mix in the chopped basil (adjust the amount to your taste)

spread that out evenly on top of all the other ingredients

spread the rest of the cracker crumbs on top

bake for 25 min. at 350.

enjoy with this yummy dish....(recipe for another day)

here we go!

I was in tomato heaven....
Really y'all, this is a must try.  What is great about this dish is that since you use canned tomatoes you can make it any time of the year!

have a wonderful day y'all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment